Monday 27 June 2011

2 gamers, 3 opinions

Hi guys, FOC here

So I thought I would kick off by giving my opinions on games. I play all sorts of games, Tabletop RPG's, Video Games, Board Games, LARP, Wargames, you name it I've probably played it. I owe my not so chiselled physique to countless hours at a table cramming jaffa cakes down my gullet whilst pretending to be an elf. It's fun, hell it's more than fun to me, it's what I do. You get that question all the time when meeting new people "What do you do?" well I game. Oh I have a job and suchlike but if I'm honest my calling is little funny dice on a table somewhere.

Is it weird? Well yeah, sure it is, I spend an awesome amount of time pretending to be someone else, that's nothing if not weird. But there's nothing wrong with weird. I'd rather be weird than not actually, at least then I'm interesting.

Of course this leads to one of those interesting things about gaming. It attracts the long and the short and the tall (of which I am one). People less concerned about image than their boundless enthusiasm for escapism. I have met hundreds of these people from all around the world and I am constantly amazed by their capacity for originality and creativity. That's what gaming does. It promotes creative thinking and attracts those who exist on the fringe of popular culture. That's what we often are, fringers, a creative group who live vicariously through characters of our own devising.

Of course such an eccentric group does have it's share of opinions and as I post more I will be sharing with you some of the more interesting splits and disagreements in gaming. Gaming attracts it's share of strong willed people who are not afraid to share an opinion (whether you want them to or not). This is one of the best things about gaming, it is also often one of the things that causes the most consternation. Two gamers can indeed have three opinions. That's a good and a bad thing.

But we wouldn't have it any other way.

Your resident fringer

Fall of Camelot

No comments:

Post a Comment